MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Former Mount Vernon high School star basketball player Kevin Jones, who was also a standout player at West Virginia University, signed a contract Thursday to play for the NBA Cleveland Cavaliers.
A 6-8 forward, Jones was added to the Cavaliers' 15-man roster after a strong showing with the team's Developmental League affiliate, where he scored 27 points and had 13 rebounds per game. Jones, 23, was assigned to the Developmental League's Canton Charge.
Jones, who played for the Mount Vernon Knights from 2004-2007 before moving on to West Virginia, was not drafted in the June 2012 NBA Draft. He signed with Cleveland as a free agent and was one of the last players to be cut prior to the beginning of the season in November.
While at Mount Vernon, Jones averaged 23 points, 14 rebounds and two blocks per game as a senior and helped lead Mount Vernon to New York State Public High Schools Athletic Association championships in 2006 and 2007.
- 1 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 2 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 3 Police Seeking Public's Help In Identifying Yonkers Hospital Inpatient
- 4 Two Medical Marijuana Licenses Granted In Westchester
- 5 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says