MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Mount Vernon track sensation Rai Benjamin is among several notable athletes to be honored by the city for their athletic achievements on Tuesday.
Members of the Mount Vernon track team, including Taniya Mitchell, who recently accepted a full scholarship to Hampton University, will join Benjamin and Mayor Ernest Davis to celebrate the success of city athletes at the New York State Indoor Championships at Cornell University in Ithaca.
Benjamin, who claimed the 300-meter crown, broke the meet, Section 1, county and school record with his 33.84 second time in the race.
He is the first sprinter to break the 34-second mark in section history. His time placed him second in the state and third in country. His performance led track website milesplit.com to nominate him for best performance at the indoor state meet.
- 1 Mount Vernon Employee Charged With Stealing From Parking Meters
- 2 Alert Issued For Missing Woman, 80, Who Could Be In Westchester
- 3 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Mount Vernon Skies Sunday
- 4 Mount Vernon Miffed Maligned Mayor Won't Step Down
- 5 No Ebola Cases In Mount Vernon, Despite Rumors, Says Mayor's Office