GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Woodlands High School product Reece Williams, a reserve guard for the University of Albany men's basketball team, will travel to Orlando, Fla., for the opening round of the NCAA Men's Tournament after the Great Danes narrowly defeated Mount St. Mary's 71-64 in Dayton, Ohio Tuesday.
Albany was one of the First Four, teams that play to advance to first-round matchups Thursday and Friday.
The Danes (19-14) are representing the America East Conference will meet No. 1 seed Florida Thursday, March 20 in a South Regional opener to be televised on CBS-TV at 4:20 p.m. ET.
The victory was the first for the Danes in an NCAA men's basketball tournament. Albany lost to powerhouse Duke in last year's opening round
Williams, a sophomore White Plains native who graduated Woodlands High School in 2013, is in his second NCAA tournament with the Danes.
"I guess you could say that I'm a "veteran," but it certainly does not get old," Williams said after the Danes learned of their bid Sunday afternoon. "However, this year is different from last year; we have a much quicker turn around."
Albany finished its game Tuesday just after 8:30 p.m. then were off to Orlando to prepare for the Gators.
- 1 Mount Vernon Woman, Mother Of 8, Dies While In Police Custody
- 2 Authorities Investigating Woman Found Dead In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell
- 3 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 4 Police Investigating Overnight Home Invasion In New Rochelle
- 5 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death