MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Lower Hudson Regional Special Education Technical Assistance and Support Center along with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES recently praised Mount Vernon's Longfellow Elementary School for its improvements on office discipline referrals and suspensions.
Longfellow employed a new disciplinary framework called Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS), which enables faculty to organize evidence-based practices, improve their implementation of those practices, and maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
Since implementing the new framework last year, the school has reported a 71 percent decrease in office discipline referrals and a 40 percent decrease in suspensions.
- 1 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings In Mount Vernon
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 5 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three