MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Lower Hudson Regional Special Education Technical Assistance and Support Center along with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES recently praised Mount Vernon's Longfellow Elementary School for its improvements on office discipline referrals and suspensions.
Longfellow employed a new disciplinary framework called Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS), which enables faculty to organize evidence-based practices, improve their implementation of those practices, and maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
Since implementing the new framework last year, the school has reported a 71 percent decrease in office discipline referrals and a 40 percent decrease in suspensions.
- 1 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 2 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death
- 3 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 4 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Identifying Yonkers Hospital Inpatient