MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Lower Hudson Regional Special Education Technical Assistance and Support Center along with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES recently praised Mount Vernon's Longfellow Elementary School for its improvements on office discipline referrals and suspensions.
Longfellow employed a new disciplinary framework called Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS), which enables faculty to organize evidence-based practices, improve their implementation of those practices, and maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
Since implementing the new framework last year, the school has reported a 71 percent decrease in office discipline referrals and a 40 percent decrease in suspensions.
- 1 Several Stabbed In Late Night Street Fight In Mount Vernon
- 2 Mount Vernon Officially Renames Longfellow Schools
- 3 Mount Vernon's Fleetwood Neighborhood Hosts Community Clean-Up Day
- 4 Yonkers Police Locate Woman In Possible Abduction
- 5 Mount Vernon Superintendent Thanks Voters For Backing 2015-16 Budget