MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Lower Hudson Regional Special Education Technical Assistance and Support Center along with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES recently praised Mount Vernon's Longfellow Elementary School for its improvements on office discipline referrals and suspensions.
Longfellow employed a new disciplinary framework called Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS), which enables faculty to organize evidence-based practices, improve their implementation of those practices, and maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
Since implementing the new framework last year, the school has reported a 71 percent decrease in office discipline referrals and a 40 percent decrease in suspensions.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Mount Vernon
- 3 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 4 Seven Mount Vernon Police Officers Graduate From County Academy
- 5 Montefiore Hosts Ebola Town Hall Meeting In Mount Vernon