MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Lower Hudson Regional Special Education Technical Assistance and Support Center along with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES recently praised Mount Vernon's Longfellow Elementary School for its improvements on office discipline referrals and suspensions.
Longfellow employed a new disciplinary framework called Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS), which enables faculty to organize evidence-based practices, improve their implementation of those practices, and maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
Since implementing the new framework last year, the school has reported a 71 percent decrease in office discipline referrals and a 40 percent decrease in suspensions.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 2 Mount Vernon Wins Boys Basketball Crown; Three Title Games Moved To Monday
- 3 Mount Vernon Teen Goes For Scholarship In Culinary Arts Competition
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 Mount Vernon Basketball Fans Celebrate Championship Win