MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Mount Vernon City School District honored 340 students from kindergarten through 12th grade who had perfect attendance for the 2013-2014 school year during a ceremony on Thursday, April 10.
The ceremony's guest speaker was the Rev. Darren M. Morton, commissioner of the Department of Recreation for the City of Mount Vernon who delivered a speech in recognition of the students' achievements and recalled his own experience of growing up as a student in Mount Vernon.
The students were then called one-by-one to the stage to receive a medallion, award certificate and a school supplies gift bag.
"The Board of Education is very proud of the students who make a commitment with their parents and caregivers to attend school daily. We celebrate this achievement because perfect attendance demonstrates the motivation of a student to be at school every day, and to overcome obstacles that stand in the way of his or her goals," Interim Schools Superintendent Judith Johnson said in a statement. "Thank you to the planning committee for creating a meaningful ceremony for our students and their families."
- 1 One-Stop Career Center Closed In Mount Vernon Wednesday
- 2 Mount Vernon Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Mount Vernon
- 4 Mount Vernon Could See Light Snow Through Thursday Morning
- 5 Calls Made For Assembly Speaker Silver To Resign After Corruption Charges