MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Mount Vernon City School District honored 340 students from kindergarten through 12th grade who had perfect attendance for the 2013-2014 school year during a ceremony on Thursday, April 10.
The ceremony's guest speaker was the Rev. Darren M. Morton, commissioner of the Department of Recreation for the City of Mount Vernon who delivered a speech in recognition of the students' achievements and recalled his own experience of growing up as a student in Mount Vernon.
The students were then called one-by-one to the stage to receive a medallion, award certificate and a school supplies gift bag.
"The Board of Education is very proud of the students who make a commitment with their parents and caregivers to attend school daily. We celebrate this achievement because perfect attendance demonstrates the motivation of a student to be at school every day, and to overcome obstacles that stand in the way of his or her goals," Interim Schools Superintendent Judith Johnson said in a statement. "Thank you to the planning committee for creating a meaningful ceremony for our students and their families."
- 1 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 2 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death
- 3 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 4 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 5 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says