MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - In an effort to showcase the necessity of a proposed $108 million bond, Mount Vernon Schools Superintendent Kenneth Hamilton is finalizing a series of informational meetings and building tours to emphasize its importance.
This month, residents will have the opportunity to learn all of the district’s plans for what they have described as “plans for necessary building improvements and state-of-the-art enhancements,” that they believe will help improve academic achievement.
According to Hamilton, his “20/20 Vision” for the district “is designed to improve the quality of instruction, enhance programs and services and close achievement gaps. The initiative will ensure that all students receive a rigorous education and develop the necessary skills that prepare them to be model citizens capable of competing in a global society.”
During building tours, residents will have the opportunity to see firsthand the district’s crumbling infrastructure, specific to each school.
In January, the Mount Vernon School Board “voted unanimously to seek a bond totaling $108 million to facilitate the district leadership’s vision to improve the quality of instruction, enhance programs and services and close achievement gaps.”
The proposal represents no tax increase until the 2017-18 school year. Thereafter, the annual tax increase for residents with a home value of $315,000 would average a tax increase of $7.37 each month for the next 20 years, peaking in 2020 with a $12.92 monthly increase.
It will now be put to a public vote on Tuesday, March 15.
- Saturday, Feb. 27 – Greater Centennial A.M.E. Zion Church, 114 W. 4th St., Mount Vernon, NY 10550, 2 p.m.
- Monday, Feb. 29 – Mount Vernon High School, Community Room, 100 California Road, Mount Vernon, NY 10552, 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 4 – Nellie A. Thornton High School, 121 S. 6th Ave. (2nd Street), Mount Vernon, NY 10550, 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 – Grimes Elementary School, 58 S. 10th Ave., Mount Vernon, NY 10550, 7 a.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 – Hamilton Elementary School, 20 Oak St., Mount Vernon, NY 10550, 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 24 – Nelson Mandela High School, 250 Gramatan Ave., Mount Vernon, NY 10550, 7 a.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 24 – Lincoln Elementary School, 170 E Lincoln Ave., Mount Vernon, NY 10552, 1 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 25 – Mount Vernon High School, 100 California Road, Mount Vernon, NY 10552, 7 a.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.