MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Mount Vernon City School District sent lottery application ballots to residents this week.
Those who have not received application ballots by Friday are asked to contact the child's school. Deadline for the lottery submissions is March 24.
The district has launched a K-8 education model for students entering sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade at Graham Elementary School, Pennington Elementary School and a K-8 campus education model for Longfellow Elementary and Middle School.
Pennington and Graham will have a two-year transition plan, school officials said. Both schools are planning to offer seventh-grade in the 2014-15 school year and will then add the eighth-grade in the 2015-16 school year. For the 2014-2015 school year, Longfellow Elementary School will become a Kindergarten through fifth-grade school for primary education and the students will transition to Longfellow Middle School.
Current sixth-grade students can apply to attend Longfellow Middle School, A. B. Davis Middle School, Graham School or Pennington School. Current fifth- grade students can apply to attend Longfellow Middle School, Graham School or Pennington School. Current eighth-grade students can apply to attend either Thornton High School or Mount Vernon High School.
The following is the lottery process, according to the Mount Vernon City School District:
- Step 1: All returning students entering Grades 6 through 9 are being asked to submit an Application Ballot to confirm their seat. If you are currently enrolled in a District school, and your mailing information is accurate in our records, parents will be receiving Application Ballots in the mail in early March. You may also request one from your current school and return to your homeroom teacher or school office. You may also request a ballot after March 12 by emailing email@example.com.
- Step 2: Once we have confirmed returning students, we will share the details of the lottery and post confirmed receipt of your ballot by providing a list of the Ballot numbers displayed on the assigned ballots. (for student privacy) Please make a copy of your completed Application Ballot for your records.
- Step 3: Lottery drawing dates and locations will be confirmed and posted at schools and the district website calendar before April 4.
To request a replacement ballot, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Mount Vernon Woman, Mother Of 8, Dies While In Police Custody
- 2 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 3 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death
- 4 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 5 Family Files $20M Suit Against Yonkers In Police Raid Fatal Fall Incident