MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Mount Vernon Ambassadors are hosting a districtwide contest to collect pull-tabs to help the Prostheses Foundation in Thailand.
The MVA returned from Bangkok, Thailand in April 2013 after learning of children living in inadequate conditions. The Prostheses Foundation in Thailand has a Pull-Tab Collection Campaign to help provide necessary medical care to those who are less fortunate. The pull-tabs are used to make artificial limbs, couplings and joints for the limbs and canes and walkers for the elderly. The MVA will host the donation drive through June 3.
"What a great way to teach children about philanthropy, and the importance of recycling, and helping others in need," representatives said. "Let’s get started."
The MVA released the following tips and suggestions for those looking to donate:
- Encourage each person in your school building to participate, no matter how many they collect -- every tab counts! Did you know, it takes 3,000 pull-tabs to make one artificial limb?
- Distribute containers -- collecting tabs can be an easy and fun project. Have each class keep an empty milk jug, or a Ziploc bag for their tab collection. Then, designate a collection site in your building on a weekly or monthly basis.
- The deadline for participants to drop off their collected tabs to Mrs. Kirkland-Hudson or Mrs. Haywood at Longfellow Elementary School is Tuesday, June 3, 2014. Please make sure your bags are labeled with your school name, and the number of tabs counted. The school with the highest number of collected pull-tabs will receive $250.
- Please contact Mrs. Kirkland-Hudson or Mrs. Haywood via email or at 914-665-5388 if you have additional questions. Remember, it is the little things that can make a big difference.
"Thank you for your commitment to raise social awareness about the challenges facing children, and families around the world," representatives said.
- 1 Mount Vernon Man Convicted In Fatal Stabbing Of Girlfriend Gets 25 To Life
- 2 Mount Vernon's Andre Jones Convicted Of Kidnapping, Robbery
- 3 New Medical-Surgical Unit At Montefiore Opens In Mount Vernon
- 4 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 5 Robbers On The Run After Heist At Pelham Manor Store