MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Mount Vernon resident and Truman Scholarship recipient Akunna Faith Uka met with U.S. Rep. Eliot Engel last month to talk about public service careers, with a focus on teaching.
“I love interacting with students, challenging them and getting them to work together to solve problems,” said Uka.
Uka was one of only 62 college juniors who won a Truman Scholarship in spring 2013. She graduated from Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania and is interning at District of Columbia public schools.
She recently accepted a teaching position in Pasadena, Calif.
“Teaching is a truly a noble, and honorable profession. I am pleased that Akunna answered the call. I expect great things from her, and hope to hear more about her continued success,” said Engel, whose district includes Mount Vernon.
- 1 Mount Vernon Man Sentenced For Assaulting Detective
- 2 Several Stabbed In Late Night Street Fight In Mount Vernon
- 3 New York's Largest-Ever Heroin Seizure Nets Yonkers Suspect
- 4 Mount Vernon Officially Renames Longfellow Schools
- 5 Bank Teller Pleads Guilty To Stealing $1.4M From Westchester Depositors