MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- A string of recent fatal fires in Mount Vernon have prompted city officials to call for a campaign to improve building inspections and increase residents' awareness, according to LoHud.com.
Since October, three fires in Mount Vernon have left six people dead, LoHud.com reported.
Mount Vernon's current inspection policy is to only conduct them when complaints are made or if a city official notices a violation. Officials say lives could have been saved if more safety precautions were in place, LoHud.com said.
- 1 Mount Vernon Woman Charged In Fatal Hit-And-Run
- 2 Mount Vernon Man Charged In Stabbing Had Domestic Troubles In Past
- 3 Mount Vernon Seeks Contractor For Memorial Field Tennis Bubble
- 4 Mount Vernon's Wartburg Hosts LeadingAge NY Graduation
- 5 Mount Vernon Schools Budget Represents No Tax Levy Increase