MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- The Mount Vernon officials recently released a set of tips for residents to prepare for a safe holiday season.
Safety First, the Mount Vernon Fire Department’s newest campaign to promote fire safety awareness in the community, is kicking off with holiday decorating tips, a carbon monoxide alert and home inspection checklists for the holidays.
"Even if you’ve never had problems before, its always best to be aware of the dangers," fire officials said. "Winter weather brings more frequent fire hazards than in any other times of the year. The days are shorter and people are trapped indoors trying to keep warm. Awareness of the dangers and careful use of appliances and extra heating devices, such as space heaters, can reduce the number of incidents requiring emergency assistance."
Officials said that working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors can be "crucial as homes become more energy efficient and airtight." Officials strongly recommend homes have both and that batteries are checked every month and replaced twice a year.
"Most importantly, renters and homeowners should make sure there is a clear way to get out of the home in the event of an emergency," officials said.
For more information on fire safety, contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 914-665-2611.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.