MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Mayor Ernest D. Davis and the City of Mount Vernon wants to remind residents of the increased safety hazards that come with the winter months and the holiday season.
When decorating for the holidays, Davis reminded residents that:
- One of every three home holiday tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- Although holiday tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every six holiday tree fires.
- More than half (56 percent) of home candle fires occur when something that can catch on fire is too close to the candle
- December is the peak time of the year for candle fires.
Davis also reminded residents that the winter months put residents at the highest risk of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a decrease in fresh air flowing throughout the home.
Symptoms include dizziness, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting, difficulty breathing, abnormal reflexes, confusion, memory loss and seizures.
Residents can contact the Bureau of Fire Prevention at 914-665-2611 for inspections that can help prevent home emergencies.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.