MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – As many as a dozen people from two families have been displaced after a fire tore through a multi-family Mount Vernon home on Thursday afternoon.
The fire on Willow Place was reported shortly after 1 p.m., and the home was still smoldering several hours later as firefighters continued to work on the residence, which is considered a complete loss.
According to fire officials, none of the residents were injured, but several firefighters were treated for minor injuries. It is believed that the fire originated in the kitchen, but an official cause has not been disclosed.
The three-alarm fire required every on-duty Mount Vernon firefighter, with nearby departments from Pelham and Yonkers pitching in to assist.
Rosalina Rodriguez, who lives behind the Willow Place home, said that she could see the smoke and flames from her window and came to investigate, along with several other neighbors.
“We live behind the house and one over, and we could see the flames and the smoke, so we wanted to come see what happened,” she said on Thursday. “I’m glad no one was hurt, but your heart goes out to everyone affected.”
Carolyn Sherwin, a spokeswoman for the American Red Cross, said that her organization was assisting the displaced residents, and are working closely with Mount Vernon emergency officials.
One of the homeowners, who remained at the scene into the afternoon, tearfully declined to comment on the fire.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.