MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - The American Red Cross is assisting more than a dozen families that were left out in the rain after being displaced by a Monday morning fire.
According to fire officials, shortly before 7:30 a.m. on Monday, a fire was sparked in the boiler room of a Bedford Avenue apartment complex that swiftly spread to the first floor, billowing smoke throughout the building.
First responders were on location within minutes, and firefighters were able to stop the fire from spreading further, knocking it down within an hour. Gas and electricity to the apartment building was temporarily shut off, but some residents have been allowed back to their homes. Others will have to wait until repairs are finished in the building.
Keep following the Mount Vernon Daily Voice for more information on Monday’s fire as it becomes available.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.