MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Isaiah Cousins, a former Mount Vernon High School basketball star and current standout at the University of Oklahoma, was hit by a stray bullet when he was caught in the crossfire of a shootout between two rival gangs on Tuesday, according to LoHud.com.
Cousins was reportedly an innocent bystander with a group of friends when a shootout between gangs known as the "Goonies" and the "Gunnas" broke out on West Third Street, according to the report.
Cousins will recover from his wounds, but it is uncertain if his basketball career will be affected, according to the report.
Cousins, who just finished his sophomore year at Oklahoma, was the Section 1 MVP his senior year at Mount Vernon.
- 1 One-Stop Career Center Closed In Mount Vernon Wednesday
- 2 Mount Vernon Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Mount Vernon
- 4 Academy Holds Graduation For New Mount Vernon Firefighters
- 5 Calls Made For Assembly Speaker Silver To Resign After Corruption Charges