HARRISON, N.Y. – Harrison police investigating a recent uptick in high-end bicycle thefts arrested a father and son who they accused of trying to steal a “Trek” mountain bike.
Up to 100 bicycles have been stolen along the Metro-North’s New Haven Line, including four near the Harrison train station, police said.
Police departments up and down the train line have been investigating the thefts. Bicycles have typically been taken from bike racks near the train platform and ] their locks were cut, police said.
Plainclothes officers say they saw Dennis Bardel, 55, and his son, Jamar Douglas, 39, in the act of stealing the bike, and that they found a stolen bike in the father and son’s car.
Both suspects have prior convictions for violent felonies and arrests for property thefts, police said. They are both charged with petit larceny, criminal possession of stolen property and conspiracy. Bardel is also charged with possessing burglar tools.
They are being held in lieu of bail at Westchester County Jail and are due in Harrison Town Court on Monday, July 28.
- 1 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 2 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death
- 3 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 4 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Identifying Yonkers Hospital Inpatient