Settings

Home Site
Notification
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Mount Vernon Daily Voice serves Mount Vernon, NY

Menu

Mount Vernon Daily Voice serves Mount Vernon, NY

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Cigarette Eyed As Cause of Mount Vernon Blaze

Mount Vernon Fire officials believe a discarded cigarette started a fire that displaced 18 people on Friday.
Mount Vernon Fire officials believe a discarded cigarette started a fire that displaced 18 people on Friday. Photo Credit: Facebook

MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- A discarded cigarette is believed to have been the cause of a fire Friday that damaged a three-story house and displaced 18 people, according to lohud.com.

A city firefighter suffered a minor injury while battling the blaze at 158 Stevens Ave. and returned to work later that day, according to the report. There appear to have been no other injuries.

Mount Vernon Deputy Chief John Battista told the newspaper that the cigarette is believed to have ignited the blaze in a third-floor windowsill. Investigation into the fire continues, according to the report.

Read the full story at lohud.com .

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Mount Vernon Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.