MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Mary Gertrude Therese Allen of Mount Vernon died July 2. She was 96.
Allen was born Aug. 8, 1917, in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. She graduated from the College of New Rochelle with a BA in English, and taught briefly in Our Lady of Victory school in Mount Vernon before accepting a job with Reader's Digest. She moved to the Freeport Sulfur Company where she spent the rest of her career, rising to head the Human Resources department. She retired in the late 1970s. She lived for nearly 90 years in the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon, and was a parishioner of Saints Peter & Paul RC Church on Birch Street.
Allen is survived by her sisters, Sister Margaret Mary Allen, RSHM, of Tarrytown, and Frances Rosa Allen Bliss of Valhalla; eight nieces and nephews; 14 great-nieces and great-nephews; two great-great-nieces and great-great-nephews.
Calling hours are Tuesday, July 8 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at Fred H. McGrath & Son Funeral Home, Bronxville. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 9 at Sts. Peter & Paul. Interment will be in the family plot at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Niagara Falls.
- 1 Man Stabbed In Street Overnight In Mount Vernon
- 2 Mount Vernon Motorcyclist, 29, Killed In Taconic Parkway Crash Is ID'd
- 3 Mount Vernon Poised To Erect Afforable Housing For Seniors
- 4 Mount Vernon Hosts Smart School Bond Act Rally
- 5 Mount Vernon Sergeant In Shooting Named In Excessive Force Lawsuits