MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Mary Gertrude Therese Allen of Mount Vernon died July 2. She was 96.
Allen was born Aug. 8, 1917, in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. She graduated from the College of New Rochelle with a BA in English, and taught briefly in Our Lady of Victory school in Mount Vernon before accepting a job with Reader's Digest. She moved to the Freeport Sulfur Company where she spent the rest of her career, rising to head the Human Resources department. She retired in the late 1970s. She lived for nearly 90 years in the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon, and was a parishioner of Saints Peter & Paul RC Church on Birch Street.
Allen is survived by her sisters, Sister Margaret Mary Allen, RSHM, of Tarrytown, and Frances Rosa Allen Bliss of Valhalla; eight nieces and nephews; 14 great-nieces and great-nephews; two great-great-nieces and great-great-nephews.
Calling hours are Tuesday, July 8 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at Fred H. McGrath & Son Funeral Home, Bronxville. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 9 at Sts. Peter & Paul. Interment will be in the family plot at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Niagara Falls.
- 1 Hearing To Continue On Mount Vernon's 42 W. Broad Street Development
- 2 60-Year-Old Man Charged In 25 Cat Killings In Yonkers
- 3 IRS Warns Mount Vernon Residents Of Phone Scam
- 4 Bill Cosby's Tarrytown Shows Are Still On Despite Sex Abuse Allegations
- 5 Westchester County Stores Are Among Best, Worst Black Friday Retailers