BRADENTON, Fla. - Marie Barletta of Bradenton, former longtime Mount Vernon resident, died July 7. She was 73.
Barletta was the daughter of Anthony (Maude) and Jean Barletta. She attended The College of New Rochelle and graduated from Georgetown University and the Columbia School of Public Health. She entered the Ursaline Community of Sisters and began helping the poor. Her career included serving as a teacher in the South Bronx, a volunteer for the Peace Corps in Ethiopia, a Patient Advocate at New York City's Lincoln Hospital and an ESL teacher for the NYC Board of Education.
Barletta is survived by her adopted daughter, Melvina Barletta; brother, George Barletta (Frances) of Bradenton; and numerous extended family. She was predeceased by her adopted daughter, Tracy Barletta.
Calling hours are Sunday, July 13 from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Yannantuono Burr Davis Sharpe Funeral Home, 584 Gramatan Ave., Mt. Vernon, NY 10552 (914)699-4010. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Monday, July 14 at St. Mary's Church.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Meadowview at Wartburg Place in Mount Vernon.
- 1 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 2 Snow Likely In Mount Vernon On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 3 Mount Vernon Investigation Into Report Of Gunshots Tops Week's News
- 4 Two Shot Inside Apartment Building In Yonkers
- 5 Mount Vernon Office Building Sold For $1.5 Million