MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Helen M. Edwards Owens, a longtime resident of Mount Vernon and New Rochelle, died Tuesday, Jan. 7. She was 89.
Owens was born June 13, 1924, in Cleveland, Ohio, to George and Sadie McJunkins Edwards. She attended the public schools in Cleveland and community college also in Cleveland. She was a member of St. James A.M.E.Zion Church in Cleveland. After her marriage she resided with her family in Mount Vernon and was a member of numerous civic organizations, the PTA and First United Methodist Church.
Owens is survived by her sons, Dr. Alfonzo B. Owens, III (Kim) of Mount Vernon, Gregory G. Owens (Terry) of Albany; daughter, Dr. Susan Owens-Billups (Daniel) of New Rochelle; five grandchildren; a host of cousins; family; and friends. She was predeceased by her husband, Dr. Alfonzo B. Owens, Jr.; brothers, Arthur Edwards, Broadus Edwards, Sam B. Edwards; and sisters, Madadine Edwards, Georgia Etta Brooks and Frances E. Ross.
Calling hours are Friday, Jan. 10 from 6 to 9 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church, 227 East Lincoln Ave., Mount Vernon, 10552. The funeral service will be held Saturday, Jan. 11 at 9 a.m., also at First United Methodist Church, Mount Vernon. Interment Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle.
- 1 One-Stop Career Center Closed In Mount Vernon Wednesday
- 2 Mount Vernon Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Mount Vernon
- 4 Academy Holds Graduation For New Mount Vernon Firefighters
- 5 Calls Made For Assembly Speaker Silver To Resign After Corruption Charges