MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Subpoenas have officially been issued against former Mount Vernon Mayor Ernie Davis and current city officials in connection to illegal dumping of toxic soil at Memorial Field.
Mount Vernon Mayor Richard Thomas announced that on Friday, subpoenas were issued against Davis, Comptroller Maureen Walker, City Councilman Marcus Griffith, John Royce, Nicolas Cicchetti, Anthony Bove and others for their roles in the dumping of contaminated soil at the once heralded park.
Last week, Thomas said he would petition the court to “bring people forward to share vital information, starting with Davis, all the way down to former employees of the city who have critical knowledge and awareness about what happened (at Memorial Field).”
“We all know the sad story of the crimes that were committed at Memorial Field — the bribery, the illegal dumping of over 12,000 cubic yards of construction debris and other materials containing contaminated substances,” Thomas said. “The recent news reports that a “handshake deal” by the prior administration was responsible for the toxic dirt at the Field is heartbreaking, frustrating, and requires a response.”
Additionally, Thomas added that he expects Davis, Comptroller Maureen Walker and others inside the alleged “handshake deal” to pay for the removal of the contaminated soil.
“When I entered office as Mayor, I had every expectation that the City Council and Comptroller would work collaboratively with me to fix Memorial Field,” he said. “Three restraining orders later, we learned that only sabotage and political animus matters to them.
“At this point, lawsuits are the only option available to successfully get to the truth; for a community to receive economic and restorative justice. The cost to clean-up and fix Memorial Field will run into the millions of dollars. We, the people, should not have to pay this! Those that are responsible should.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.