MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon last week:
- Lucius Crawford, the Mount Vernon man who was convicted of stabbing his girlfriend 31 times in a jealous rage in 2012, has been sentenced to a minimum of 25 years in prison for murder.
- Andre Jones, a Mount Vernon resident, was convicted of kidnapping and robbery and could face 25 years in prison, the Westchester County District Attorney's office announced.
- Some Catholic churches in Westchester may be consolidating or closing and the Archdiocese of New York is expected to announce its final decision this month.
- The New York State Department of Health is advising parents and health-care providers to be aware of the signs and symptoms of a serious respiratory illness known as enterovirus EV-D68, which has now been confirmed in more than a dozen children in New York State.
- A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held for the opening of the new Medical-Surgical Unit at Montefiore Mount Vernon .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.