MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon this week:
- Three Mahopac students have been suspended – and the district anticipates more suspensions to follow – after directing racially charged Tweets toward Mount Vernon boys basketball players following the Section 1 semifinal at the Westchester County Center in White Plains.
- A former Mount Vernon Department of Public Works employee was convicted of attempted murder after an incident at OK Freddy’s last year.
- Familiar names like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett topped Forbes Magazine's recent list of the richest people in the planet for 2014, but several names connected to Westchester County made the list as well.
- Mount Vernon track sensation Rai Benjamin is among several notable athletes to be honored by the city for their athletic achievements on Tuesday.
- Devonte Banner and Brandon Martin each scored 12 points Wednesday and the Mount Vernon High School boys basketball team topped Newburgh Free Academy 66-48 in the Class AA state regional semifinal at SUNY New Paltz.
- Refugio de Esperanza, a 107-year-old New Rochelle church that had been in disrepair decades, re-opened its doors on Friday thanks in large part to the foundation run by New York Yankees legend Mariano Rivera.
- Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino officially announced his candidacy for governor .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.