MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon this week:
- Although their season ended with a disappointing overtime loss on Saturday, the Mount Vernon High School varsity boys basketball team is still a hot topic of debate after players were targeted in racially charged Tweets following the Section 1 championship semifinal on Feb. 27.
- The Mount Vernon School Board may have a new president, but its mission remains unchanged: “provide a quality education for all students, regardless of their zip code.”
- A gas explosion destroyed a building in Harlem, killed at least eight people and shut down Metro-North service for hours.
- The videographer who shot footage of the now infamous racial incident during a basketball game between Mount Vernon and Mahopac recently provided additional context to ABC New York.
- Students from Mount Vernon's Lincoln Elementary School boarded a bus thinking they were going on an ordinary field trip. They had no idea they would be surprised by Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz and taken to the "The Rachel Ray Show" in New York City.
- 1 Mount Vernon Woman Charged In Fatal Hit-And-Run
- 2 Mount Vernon Man Charged In Stabbing Had Domestic Troubles In Past
- 3 Mount Vernon Seeks Contractor For Memorial Field Tennis Bubble
- 4 Mount Vernon's Wartburg Hosts LeadingAge NY Graduation
- 5 Mount Vernon Schools Budget Represents No Tax Levy Increase