MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon this week:
- Although their season ended with a disappointing overtime loss on Saturday, the Mount Vernon High School varsity boys basketball team is still a hot topic of debate after players were targeted in racially charged Tweets following the Section 1 championship semifinal on Feb. 27.
- The Mount Vernon School Board may have a new president, but its mission remains unchanged: “provide a quality education for all students, regardless of their zip code.”
- A gas explosion destroyed a building in Harlem, killed at least eight people and shut down Metro-North service for hours.
- The videographer who shot footage of the now infamous racial incident during a basketball game between Mount Vernon and Mahopac recently provided additional context to ABC New York.
- Students from Mount Vernon's Lincoln Elementary School boarded a bus thinking they were going on an ordinary field trip. They had no idea they would be surprised by Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz and taken to the "The Rachel Ray Show" in New York City.
- 1 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 2 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 3 Two Shot Inside Apartment Building In Yonkers
- 4 Mount Vernon Investigation Into Report Of Gunshots Tops Week's News
- 5 Mobile Shredder Set To Return To Mount Vernon