MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon this week:
- Although their season ended with a disappointing overtime loss on Saturday, the Mount Vernon High School varsity boys basketball team is still a hot topic of debate after players were targeted in racially charged Tweets following the Section 1 championship semifinal on Feb. 27.
- The Mount Vernon School Board may have a new president, but its mission remains unchanged: “provide a quality education for all students, regardless of their zip code.”
- A gas explosion destroyed a building in Harlem, killed at least eight people and shut down Metro-North service for hours.
- The videographer who shot footage of the now infamous racial incident during a basketball game between Mount Vernon and Mahopac recently provided additional context to ABC New York.
- Students from Mount Vernon's Lincoln Elementary School boarded a bus thinking they were going on an ordinary field trip. They had no idea they would be surprised by Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz and taken to the "The Rachel Ray Show" in New York City.
- 1 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 2 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death
- 3 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 4 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 5 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says