MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon last week:
- Officials from Metro-North and Mount Vernon have reached an agreement to replace three heavily populated bridges that carry thousands of cars over the railroad’s tracks.
- The New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation charged a Mount Vernon woman, Melissa Smikle, 33 , with unlawfully collecting unemployment benefits.
- Metro-North is seeing a spike in crimes , especially high-priced theft, according to LoHud.com. Of the 107 felonies reported on the commuter rail through August, 52 of them involved the theft of items valued over $1,000.
- Westchester is home to nine billionaires on the 2014 Forbes 400 list that was released on Monday, Sept. 29.
- Mount Vernon residents will have the chance to speak on behalf of, or against the proposed charter school that may be a fixture in the city as soon as next summer.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.