MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Nellie A. Thornton High School senior Jaime Fernandez received The Matthew Kevin Moore Role Model, Leadership, and Community Service Award May 29 at the Senior Convocation Ceremony.
Fernandez volunteers in the community for organizations such as "Health from Birth for Life," an organization that promotes healthy lifestyles and eating habits in young adults, the WW Day Program at the Sacred Heart Soup Kitchen, where he volunteers his time preparing and serving meals, and the Wartburg Nursing Home where he assists nurses and entertains the residents.
Fernandez enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in the delayed entry program and will begin his
military training in September.
Before he leaves for his training, he will act as the recruiting substation guide for Westchester County. His responsibilities include overseeing fellow recruits prior to their departure to make sure that they’ve completed all prerequisites before beginning training.
- 1 Mount Vernon Market Fined By Liquor Authority For Marijuana Use On Premises
- 2 Attorney General Joins Investigation Into Mount Vernon Holding Cell Death
- 3 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 4 Initial Autopsy Results Inconclusive In Mount Vernon PD Holding Cell Death
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Identifying Yonkers Hospital Inpatient