MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Nellie A. Thornton High School senior Jaime Fernandez received The Matthew Kevin Moore Role Model, Leadership, and Community Service Award May 29 at the Senior Convocation Ceremony.
Fernandez volunteers in the community for organizations such as "Health from Birth for Life," an organization that promotes healthy lifestyles and eating habits in young adults, the WW Day Program at the Sacred Heart Soup Kitchen, where he volunteers his time preparing and serving meals, and the Wartburg Nursing Home where he assists nurses and entertains the residents.
Fernandez enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in the delayed entry program and will begin his
military training in September.
Before he leaves for his training, he will act as the recruiting substation guide for Westchester County. His responsibilities include overseeing fellow recruits prior to their departure to make sure that they’ve completed all prerequisites before beginning training.
- 1 Mount Vernon Employee Charged With Stealing From Parking Meters
- 2 Alert Issued For Missing Woman, 80, Who Could Be In Westchester
- 3 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Mount Vernon Skies Sunday
- 4 No Ebola Cases In Mount Vernon, Despite Rumors, Says Mayor's Office
- 5 Guilty Plea Of Mount Vernon Mayor Tops Week's News