MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Nellie A. Thornton High School senior Jaime Fernandez received The Matthew Kevin Moore Role Model, Leadership, and Community Service Award May 29 at the Senior Convocation Ceremony.
Fernandez volunteers in the community for organizations such as "Health from Birth for Life," an organization that promotes healthy lifestyles and eating habits in young adults, the WW Day Program at the Sacred Heart Soup Kitchen, where he volunteers his time preparing and serving meals, and the Wartburg Nursing Home where he assists nurses and entertains the residents.
Fernandez enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in the delayed entry program and will begin his
military training in September.
Before he leaves for his training, he will act as the recruiting substation guide for Westchester County. His responsibilities include overseeing fellow recruits prior to their departure to make sure that they’ve completed all prerequisites before beginning training.
- 1 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings In Mount Vernon
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 5 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three