MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Nellie A. Thornton High School senior Jaime Fernandez received The Matthew Kevin Moore Role Model, Leadership, and Community Service Award May 29 at the Senior Convocation Ceremony.
Fernandez volunteers in the community for organizations such as "Health from Birth for Life," an organization that promotes healthy lifestyles and eating habits in young adults, the WW Day Program at the Sacred Heart Soup Kitchen, where he volunteers his time preparing and serving meals, and the Wartburg Nursing Home where he assists nurses and entertains the residents.
Fernandez enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in the delayed entry program and will begin his
military training in September.
Before he leaves for his training, he will act as the recruiting substation guide for Westchester County. His responsibilities include overseeing fellow recruits prior to their departure to make sure that they’ve completed all prerequisites before beginning training.
- 1 Core Member Of Mount Vernon Street Gang Gets 28 Years In Prison
- 2 Mount Vernon Man Pleads Guilty To Killing 'Neighborhood Grandmother'
- 3 Mount Vernon Police Seek Strip Club Shooting Suspect
- 4 Sex Offenders Live Near Mount Vernon Pre-K's, Report Says
- 5 Mount Vernon Officials Break Ground On Workforce Housing