MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Building Commissioner Mark Warren said Tuesday that several violations were issued to the property owners of 111 N. 3rd Ave. after a 12-year old fell down an elevator shaft this weekend.
The boy, who was visiting friends at the building, was playing in the hallway when he fell into the shaft. The victim was taken to Mount Vernon Hospital before being moved to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx for treatment, including a laceration on his hip that required stitches.
Mount Vernon United Tenants Executive Director Dennis Hanratty said he has been in that building hundreds of times and had never seen any problems there. Warren said that there were only two violations reported over the past 30 years.
Still, residents of the building said that only one elevator has been working recently. One woman who lives in the building, who asked not to be identified, said that the elevator shaft needs repair but the children shouldn't have been playing in the hallway to begin with.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Mount Vernon
- 3 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 4 Seven Mount Vernon Police Officers Graduate From County Academy
- 5 Montefiore Hosts Ebola Town Hall Meeting In Mount Vernon