MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon last week:
- A Mount Vernon fire that originated in a Caribbean eatery eventually destroyed three other businesses on West First Street, News 12 Westchester reported.
- The city of Mount Vernon has hired a contractor to clean up cooking oil that was improperly dumped into the Hutchinson River, according to News 12 Westchester.
- New York State Police have charged a Mount Vernon man with possession of a controlled substance and driving while ability impaired, officials said.
- A&E's newest program, "Cement Heads," is a reality show that follows WJL Equities, a family-owned construction company based in Eastchester. It will be telecast on Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m.
- The missing vulnerable adult alert for Saurav Banik has been canceled, the state Division of Criminal Justice Services announced.