MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon this week:
- The Mount Vernon Board of Education has adopted a $227.5 million schools budget, representing a property tax levy increase of .5 percent for homeowners.
- U.S. Rep. Eliot Engel, D-Bronx, recently announced the Mount Vernon Neighborhood Health Center will receive a $4.1 million grant to provide health care for low-income residents.
- Mount Vernon residents Adam Kirkland and Eric Chappelle were implicated in a fatal Yonkers stabbing last year.
- New Metro-North schedules that will take effect on Sunday, May 11 will cut commute times into Grand Central Terminal on the Hudson, New Haven and Harlem lines.
- Pop legend Paul Simon, 72, and his wife, musician Edie Brickell, 47, were each charged with disorderly conduct after a dispute between the couple in their New Canaan home.
- NYPD Officer Brendan Cronin, a Yonkers resident, was arrested by Pelham police after allegedly shooting a 47-year-old New Rochelle resident six times on Tuesday night while off duty.
- 1 Snow Likely In Mount Vernon On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 2 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 3 Mount Vernon Investigation Into Report Of Gunshots Tops Week's News
- 4 Two Shot Inside Apartment Building In Yonkers
- 5 Mount Vernon Office Building Sold For $1.5 Million