NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Residents of the Sound Shore in Westchester are stunned from the shooting in Newtown, Conn., that killed 27 people, including 18 children.
Many people approached today didn’t want to comment on the shooting, but several residents spoke out through Facebook.
“It’s so heartbreaking,” said Mount Vernon resident Althea Darling. “Just a hug from your child will mean so much more at this moment. Prayers to all.”
Rye resident Billy Spielman suggested having police officers at the schools in addition to security personnel who are already in place, adding that it would create jobs instantly. Fellow Rye resident Sharon Flynn-McKenna said she is not big on guns, but said there should be certain trained teachers or administrators allowed to carry guns in the schools.
“I bet that would stop psychos,” Flynn-McKenna said. “Walking into a school is like shooting into a fish bowl. You know they are unarmed.”
Rye resident Cindy Caesar said to look at what kids are exposed to, while New Rochelle resident Michael Kelly said the parents of the shooter should be held accountable.
Click here for more coverage on the Newtown shooting.
- 1 Core Member Of Mount Vernon Street Gang Gets 28 Years In Prison
- 2 Mount Vernon Wins Boys Basketball Crown; Three Title Games Moved To Monday
- 3 Mount Vernon Police Seek Strip Club Shooting Suspect
- 4 Sex Offenders Live Near Mount Vernon Pre-K's, Report Says
- 5 Mount Vernon Officials Break Ground On Workforce Housing