MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Mount Vernon last week:
- Mount Vernon commuters and residents traveling along Fifth Avenue were subjected to a grizzly scene on Thursday morning as a body was found hanging outside of an apartment building, according to LoHud.com.
- Former Mount Vernon Police Officer Joseph Russo was arraigned on Monday on a pair of felony counts charging him with possession of nearly 4,000 illegally obtained hydrocodone pills, according to Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore.
- The 21-year-old man who was found on fire while attempting to ride on top of a Metro-North train in Greenwich on Sunday died as a result of his injuries.
- Water pressure is returning to most southern Westchester municipalities – notably Mount Vernon and Yonkers – after a valve on a major water main near the Kensico Dam was shut down.
- Mount Vernon City Council President Roberta Apuzzo recently appointed new members to the council's standard committees.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.