MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Mount Vernon and New York City firefighters were able to extinguish a barge fire on the Hutchinson River on Wednesday, according to LoHud.com.
The barge contained scrap metal and crushed cars. Mount Vernon responders were attempting to beat the blaze back with water from their side of the river, but had to stop once the barge became unstable from taking on water, LoHud.com reported.
Authorities still aren't sure how the fire, off Post Roadm was started, LoHud.com said.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Mount Vernon
- 3 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 4 Seven Mount Vernon Police Officers Graduate From County Academy
- 5 Montefiore Hosts Ebola Town Hall Meeting In Mount Vernon