MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Mount Vernon and New York City firefighters were able to extinguish a barge fire on the Hutchinson River on Wednesday, according to LoHud.com.
The barge contained scrap metal and crushed cars. Mount Vernon responders were attempting to beat the blaze back with water from their side of the river, but had to stop once the barge became unstable from taking on water, LoHud.com reported.
Authorities still aren't sure how the fire, off Post Roadm was started, LoHud.com said.
- 1 Mount Vernon Woman Charged In Fatal Hit-And-Run
- 2 Mount Vernon Man Charged In Stabbing Had Domestic Troubles In Past
- 3 Mount Vernon Seeks Contractor For Memorial Field Tennis Bubble
- 4 Mount Vernon Schools Budget Represents No Tax Levy Increase
- 5 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits Market For $29.5M