MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Mount Vernon and New York City firefighters were able to extinguish a barge fire on the Hutchinson River on Wednesday, according to LoHud.com.
The barge contained scrap metal and crushed cars. Mount Vernon responders were attempting to beat the blaze back with water from their side of the river, but had to stop once the barge became unstable from taking on water, LoHud.com reported.
Authorities still aren't sure how the fire, off Post Roadm was started, LoHud.com said.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 2 Mount Vernon Wins Boys Basketball Crown; Three Title Games Moved To Monday
- 3 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 4 Mount Vernon Basketball Fans Celebrate Championship Win
- 5 Sex Offenders Live Near Mount Vernon Pre-K's, Report Says