MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Mount Vernon and New York City firefighters were able to extinguish a barge fire on the Hutchinson River on Wednesday, according to LoHud.com.
The barge contained scrap metal and crushed cars. Mount Vernon responders were attempting to beat the blaze back with water from their side of the river, but had to stop once the barge became unstable from taking on water, LoHud.com reported.
Authorities still aren't sure how the fire, off Post Roadm was started, LoHud.com said.
- 1 Men Shot, Killed Before Hutchinson River Parkway Crash ID'd
- 2 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings In Mount Vernon
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 5 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three