MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Mount Vernon's Phylicia Rashād!
Phylicia Rashād, a longtime Mount Vernon resident, turns 66 on Thursday.
Rashād, a Tony Award-winning actress, singer and stage director, best known for her role as Clair Huxtable on the long-running NBC sitcom "The Cosby Show," was born June 19, 1948, in Houston, Texas.
In 2004, Rashād became the first African-American actress to win the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play, which she won for her role in the revival of "A Raisin in the Sun." She also played the role in the 2008 television adaptation of "A Raisin in the Sun," which earned her the 2009 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special. Rashād was dubbed "The Mother" of the African-American community at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards.
- 1 Funeral Arrangements Made For Raynette Turner In Mount Vernon
- 2 Autopsy Released For Woman Found Naked In Neighbor's Yard In Yonkers
- 3 Two Medical Marijuana Licenses Granted In Westchester
- 4 New Rochelle Native Jerome Kohlberg, Billionaire, Philanthropist, Dies
- 5 Mount Vernon Residents Get To See Blue Moon Friday Night