MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Mount Vernon's Phylicia Rashād!
Phylicia Rashād, a longtime Mount Vernon resident, turns 66 on Thursday.
Rashād, a Tony Award-winning actress, singer and stage director, best known for her role as Clair Huxtable on the long-running NBC sitcom "The Cosby Show," was born June 19, 1948, in Houston, Texas.
In 2004, Rashād became the first African-American actress to win the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play, which she won for her role in the revival of "A Raisin in the Sun." She also played the role in the 2008 television adaptation of "A Raisin in the Sun," which earned her the 2009 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special. Rashād was dubbed "The Mother" of the African-American community at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards.
- 1 Four Plead Guilty In Mount Vernon Gang Murder
- 2 18-24 Inches Of Snow Possible In Mount Vernon; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Mount Vernon, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 4 Mount Vernon Enters State Of Emergency As Storm Arrives
- 5 Officials To Break Ground On Long Delayed $60M Development