MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Mount Vernon's Phylicia Rashād!
Phylicia Rashād, a longtime Mount Vernon resident, turns 66 on Thursday.
Rashād, a Tony Award-winning actress, singer and stage director, best known for her role as Clair Huxtable on the long-running NBC sitcom "The Cosby Show," was born June 19, 1948, in Houston, Texas.
In 2004, Rashād became the first African-American actress to win the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play, which she won for her role in the revival of "A Raisin in the Sun." She also played the role in the 2008 television adaptation of "A Raisin in the Sun," which earned her the 2009 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special. Rashād was dubbed "The Mother" of the African-American community at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards.
- 1 McDonald's Shakes Up Menu, Cuts Seven Sandwiches
- 2 Westchester DA Issues Alert About Sexual Predators Posing As Others
- 3 Bud Light Apologizes For Bottle Label Some Believe Promotes Rape
- 4 Court's Injunction Stops HUD From Giving Away Grants For Westchester
- 5 Likely Arrest Of Senate Leader Skelos Tied To Scarsdale Firm, Report Says