MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- A variety of camp options and other activities are available to the children of Mount Vernon this summer.
The Mount Vernon Youth Bureau's Safe Haven Summer Camp is from July 6 through Aug. 14 at Longfellow Elementary School for kids ages 6-12.
At Safe Heaven, children will participate in STEAM (science, technology, English, art and mathematics) activities and go on field trips. Previous field trips include ones to Quassey Park, Lake Compounce and Splish Splash. The camp is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays and costs $450.
Recreation Junior Camp is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 6 through Aug. 14 at Traphagen Elementary School for kids ages 5-8. The fee is $550.
For kids ages 9-12, Recreation Senior Camp will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Homes Elementary School July 6 through Aug. 14. There is a $550 fee for participation.
Mobile Camp Program has something for kids of all ages to do at the free mobile camps at the following playgrounds:
- Howard Street Playground - Mondays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon
- Fleetwood Playground - Mondays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon
- Old 7th Avenue Playground - Mondays through Thursdays, 1 to 3 p.m.
For athletes, these camps will give specialized instruction to improve skills and promote sportsmanship:
- Tennis Clinic - Ages 7-17, Fridays - June 26 through Aug. 28 , Fee: $100 Mount Vernon Tennis Center Courts, 665 Garden Avenue, 4-8 p.m.
- Basketball Clinic - Ages 7-17, July 6 through Aug. 14, Fee:$425 or $90/week Mount Vernon High School, 100 California Road, 1-5 p.m.
- Biddy Outdoor Basketball - Ages 7-17, July 6 through Aug. 14, Fee: $35 Hartley Park Court (Gramatan & Lincoln Avenues) Mondays and Tuesdays - 4:30-8:30 p.m. and Saturdays, 9-11 a.m.
- Soccer Clinic - Ages 7-17, July 6 through Aug. 14, Fee: $200 or $50/week Hutchinson Field Dome, 655 Garden Avenue, 4-6 p.m.
- Band/Drumline - Ages 7-17, July 6 through Aug. 7 , Fee: $200 250 Nelson Mandela High School, 250 Gramatan Avenue, Mondays through Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
For girls in grades 7-8, the free G.E.M. Summer Leadership Academy empowers and cultivates leadership skills in a safe, enriching environment. Call the Mount Vernon Youth Bureau at (914) 665-2344 to enroll.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.