WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Memorial Day, which is officially celebrated Monday May 30 but unofficially begins just around now, isn't just about savoring the long weekend and easing into summer mode; it's first and foremost about honoring the men and women who have died serving in our armed forces.
The following is a sampling of parades and dedications taking place across Westchester. Feel free to comment on our Facebook page and add any we've missed.
Thursday, May 26
- Larchmont: Service members will participate in the annual parade hosted by American Legion Post #347. The 6 p.m. event is free and open to the public.
- Montrose : The VA Hudson Valley Health Care System holds its annual Memorial Day ceremony at 10 a.m. at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Montrose campus sculpture garden, 2094 Albany Post Road.
Friday, May 27
- Valhalla : Medal of Honor recipients buried in Westchester County will be honored at 2:30 p.m. at Kensico Cemetery's tenth annual pre-Memorial Day service at the Veterans Memorial monument.
Saturday, May 28
- Rye: Friends of the African American Cemetery Inc., the organization that oversees the historic African American cemetery within Greenwood Union Cemetery, will hold a Memorial Day service at 10 a.m. at 215 North St.
Sunday, May 29
- New Rochelle: Memorial Day service and flag replacement on graves at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery at 9 a.m.
- Hastings-on-Hudson: James Daley VFW Post No. 200 hosts a Memorial Day Parade at 1 p.m. at 558 Warburton Ave.
Monday, May 30
- Yonkers : Memorial Day ceremony at 9 a.m. at City Hall Veterans Memorial, 40 South Broadway. Parade kicks off at 2 p.m. at Mclean Avenue and ends at Bajart Post No. 1122, where a ceremony will be held. There's also a Crestwood Memorial Day parade starting at 10 a.m. at Schultz Field, 33 St. Eleanoras Lane. And, the Catholic Slovak Club Memorial Day Ceremony takes place at noon at Victory Park, 50 Lockwood Ave.
- Eastchester: The Eastchester/Tuckahoe Memorial Day Ceremonial Parade assembles at 9:15 a.m. at the Eastchester Monument Park, California and White Plains Roads and includes a Memorial Tribute Ceremony at the Eastchester Monument Park at 9:30 a.m. Following the ceremony, the parade kicks off at 10 a.m. and proceeds south on White Plains Road to Main Street through Tuckahoe, ending at the WWII monument at Generoso Pope Plaza.
- Elmsford: Parade starts at 10:30 a.m. at Legion Park on Main Street and continues West on Main Street to South Stone Avenue, ending at Village Hall where a service will be held. In case of inclement weather, the service will be held at 11 a.m. under a tent at Village Hall.
- Harrison: Parade begins at 10 a.m. at Halstead Avenue and and corner of Thatcher Avenue and will feature Veterans Groups, Harrison Police, Harrison Fire Departments, Harrison High School Marching Band, Harrison Ambulance Corps and any and all other civic groups who would like to march.
- Mamaroneck: Parade at 3 p.m. at 189 Prospect Ave.
- New Rochelle: All are invited to a service and wreath laying at 10 a.m. at Memorial Monument, Plaza, Memorial at Highway and Main Street. From noon to 6 p.m. the celebration begins at Glen Island Park with an all day concert and barbecue.
- North Salem: The North Salem Memorial Day parade begins at 10 a.m starting at Oak Ridge Road and Route 116. It ends with a reading of the roster of North Salemites who died in military service. The ceremony is followed by free hot dogs and soda at the ball field opposite The Fish and The Farmer.
- Pelham: The annual Memorial Day parade starts at 11:30 a.m. in Pelham Manor.
- Rye: Parade starts 9:30 a.m. along Purchase Street with Memorial Day services at 10:30 a.m. on the Village Green American Legion Post 128.
- Scarsdale: Scarsdale Village Parade begins at 9:45 am with a march followed by speeches.
- Shrub Oak: Mohegan Fire Department Memorial Day service starts at 10 a.m. at Shrub Oak Memorial.
- Somers : Parade participants should be at the Somers Middle School by 9:30 a.m. Parade will continue to Ivendell Cemetery where the ceremony will be held at the Veteran's Memorial. Refreshments will be served immediately following at the Town House.
- Tarrytown: Parade kicks off at 9 a.m. on Main Street, continues on to Broadway into Sleepy Hollow and returns to Patriots Park for a ceremony.
The American Legion Gilbert Rauh Post No. 1574 hosts a parade and ceremony at 11 a.m. at the monument located at the Old Thornwood Railroad Station.
Gilbert Rauh Post. For those who have their flags at the ready, the parade will begin at Berlin Imports, ending at the Gilbert Rauh post for refreshments. The post is where the ceremony will take place in case of bad weather.
Valhalla : Parade starts on Westlake Drive at 9:30 a.m., continues south on Columbus Avenue to the Village Green, where a ceremony will be held. Hot dogs, ice cream and beverages are available afterward at the American Legion Post 1038 on Legion Drive.
Yorktown Heights: Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion, and the Town of Yorktown will hold a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. at Memorials at Town Hall. Parade, speeches and ceremony follow at 11:15 a.m. at John “Jack” DeVito Gazebo, Yorktown Community & Cultural Center.
- White Plains : Parade steps off at 10 a.m. on Church Street between Main Street and Hamilton Avenue, then proceeds to the Rural Cemetery on North Broadway. The parade will be immediately followed by memorial services and honors at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument at the cemetery.