MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. -- A variety of back to school events will be held in Mount Vernon, including the Backpack Giveaway and Community Fair.
Just in time for back to school, the Backpack Giveaway and Community Fair will be held on Saturday, Aug. 30 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Parents who need backpacks and supplies for children can bring their children to Hartley Park for free giveaways. Fun, games, educational and medical vendors will be on hand to provide information and assistance. There will also be free hot dogs.
The Back to School Summer Breeze concert is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 2, at Hartley Park. Performances will be by New York State of Mind with Final Decision Band, Maceo Mobley and Friends and Timothy Hunter (former lead singer of R&B group Atlantic Star). Showtime is 7 p.m.
Local gospel singer and teaching icon John H. Paxton will be remembered by some of his former students at the Summer Breeze 2014 Finale, "A Tribute in Song to the Late John H. Paxton" on Saturday, Sept. 6, at City Hall Plaza starting at 7 p.m.
Paxton, a name synonymous with the original Mount Vernon High School Gospel Choir, had impact on countless students, developing friendships that lasted until his death three years ago. The evening is expected to take many Mount Vernon High School alumni down memory lane.
- 1 Mount Vernon Employee Charged With Stealing From Parking Meters
- 2 Alert Issued For Missing Woman, 80, Who Could Be In Westchester
- 3 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Mount Vernon Skies Sunday
- 4 Mount Vernon Miffed Maligned Mayor Won't Step Down
- 5 No Ebola Cases In Mount Vernon, Despite Rumors, Says Mayor's Office